Monday, September 6, 2010

Delicious veggies - Fantastic Saturday Morning Pt. 2

Over the last little while I have been trying to make a bit of an effort to eat more veggies. It definitely ties in to all those years of hearing one's mother going on and on about "you should eat your veggies...". It's funny how after 24 years, I'm starting to listen (Mum would be proud!)

As I continued my fantastic Saturday morning (post making jalapeño cheddar cornbread) with Mum, I decided to try out Martha Stewart's Marinated Cauliflower Salad. I had this salad a few weeks ago at Uncle Rick and Aunt Jane's place and immediately fell in love with it! It will definitely become a regular at our house and I hope you guys will test it out too! Not only is it delicious but it's a breeze to make! 

Here goes: 

Take one head of cauliflower and cut it into florets. 


Add the florets into a pot of boiling salted water for a few minutes and allow them to have a nice little swim (Note: the recipe states 2 minutes... Maybe it's just my stove, but I would probably recommend about 4-5 minutes. This will also depend on the side of your florets). This should be done in small batches so that you can evenly cook the little darlings!


Drain the florets and place them in whatever bowl you will be serving the salad. This can be a glass bowl, a Tupperware container or whatever floats your floret (HA! Alright, I promise, no more using the word floret, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary!).


Now here is where I would change the recipe a bit - it wouldn't be a Tamara-esque blog post if I followed the recipe to a T. The Goddess (aka Martha Stewart) suggests that you drizzle in 1/2 cup of olive oil when making the dressing (which is simply red onion, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, white wine vinegar and olive oil) however I would probably recommend either decreasing this to 1/4 of a cup or increasing all other ingredients except the red onion and olive oil to fix this. Me personally,  I would probably do a bit of both... decrease the olive oil and add some more of the other deliciousness but that's just the crazy gal that I am! Moving on... Once the dressing is emulsified, pour it over the cauliflower and add 2 teaspoons of capers that have been drained and rinsed.


Add some chopped parsley, toss the salad and refrigerate for at least a few hours. It is absolutely imperative to come back to the fridge every once in a while to stir the salad. Otherwise, you'll end up with cauliflower on the bottom of the bowl that absorbs the dressing and the florets (sorry!) on top, do not. I promise, you'll appreciate this step! 

And voila, ladies and gents, the deliciousness that is Martha Stewart's Marinated Cauliflower Salad.


I hope you all enjoyed your long weekend! 

Happy Cooking! 

t

No comments:

Post a Comment