Saturday, October 2, 2010

Homemade Cinnamon Sticks - (aka a Free Saturday Night at Home with Mum)

For the first time in months, I didn't have to work tonight. Since I usually babysit on Saturday nights, a Saturday night at home is truly a rarity. Mum and I ordered in some Swiss Chalet for dinner and watched both "In Her Shoes" and "The Holiday" - two of my favourite movies! However, in between movies, I had a huge craving for cinnamon slathered dough after reading the Pioneer Woman's blog post about Cinnamon Buns! So, I popped some ingredients into my fabulous bread maker and whipped up a quick batch of what is really just slightly sweetened pizza dough. All I did was take my standard pizza dough recipe and I substituted some more sugar than the recipe calls for. This dough in particular is also made with 3/4 white flour and 1/4 whole wheat flour to increase the fiber a bit. I have been wanting to try to increase the whole wheat flour amounts in my pizza dough but I haven't quite got around to it yet (I'll save all of that jabber for another post).

Hello beautiful lump of dough
I then melted 1/4 cup of butter (I used salted because I had it on hand but I would typically use unsalted) in a bowl and then made a quick mixture of 4 tablespoons of sugar combined with a 1 teaspoon of cinnamon in another bowl. 



Once the dough was done, I rolled it out on a baking sheet that was well greased. I brushed on some butter and sprinkled on a generous amount of the cinnamon sugar... Then I made cuts in it so that they were shaped like sticks rather than just a lump of dough. So it looks something like this :)


Bake at 425F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown:



When it comes out of the oven it should look something like this lovely piece of dough:


Now, I was willing to leave it right here at this stage but figured that I could make it look even better. So I took the remaining melted butter and added in the remaining cinnamon sugar and made a bit of a paste if you will. Slater the paste over the hot dough and let it sit for a minute! I promise, this will push this over the edge!!!! Just look at the deliciousness:



Cut whatever size slab that you feel is necessary (Mum and I shared this and were hungry) and indulge! 

Happy Saturday Night, My Loves!!!! 

Happy Cooking! 

tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment