Saturday, July 10, 2010

Roasted Heirloom Beet Salad with Goat Cheese & Lemon Vinaigrette

A few weeks ago, we had a barbeque at our place for some family and friends. Though more friends showed up than family we truly had a great time. The morning of that party consisted of a visit to both the Burlington Mall Farmers' Market as well as the Hopedale Mall Farmers' Market. I love going to the market and scouting what they have and being inspired by their ingredients. It not only makes the adventure more fun but it's a great way to try things that I wouldn't normally buy. 

This particular market trip introduced me to some varieties of heirloom beets. I've seen regular beets before and have heard of golden beets but what I didn't expect to see were candy cane beets! They're probably the most beautiful vegetable I've ever seen. 



I decided to roast these beets with a drizzle of olive oil and herbs and then wrapped them in some foil. I cut them in half as well and sprinkled some salt and pepper on them too. Here you can see the beet halves and how pretty they truly are:

Regular Beets

Golden Beets

Candy Cane Beets



I roasted the beets are 375F for about an hour and then let them cool to the touch before trying to peel off the skin by placing the beets in a freezer bag and rubbing the skin off that way. 


I chopped up the beets into smaller pieces and plated them. I love the way the colours of the beets just work so well together! 



Crumble some goat cheese (whatever flavour you like... we used plain) and dress with your favourite vinaigrette and I promise you will be in beet and goat cheese heaven. My vinaigrette for this salad is a Maple Lemon Vinaigrette that will knock your socks off! 

Maple Lemon Vinaigrette:
  • 1/4 cup fresh herbs, finely chopped (I use lemon thyme, parsley, rosemary and tarragon)
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/8 cup lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp grain mustard
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
Combine all ingredients in a jar and shake, shake, shake!  The dressing will emulsify and it's delish! Pour over beet salad and enjoy! 

Happy Cooking! 

tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment