Monday, July 5, 2010

Spaghetti and Meatballs with a twist!

I have always loved a classic bowl of spaghetti and meatballs but this time round, I have a bit of a twist on this delicious dish!

We had a cupcake challenge at work this past week and rather than doing something themed to the travel/airline industry, I decided to do something that was a trop l'oeil submission instead. Having borrowed a lovely book from my girlfriend, I began my research through this wonderful book! 

Hello Cupcake! 
I've gone through this book before and thought it would be the perfect place to find my inspiration and there I found the instructions on how to make Spaghetti and Meatball Cupcakes. They were so easy that I couldn't pass them up. 

I wanted to make the cupcake batter delicious and decided to make some creamsicle cupcakes (the easiest and most amazing things to make). Simply take 1 box of vanilla cake mix and 1 box of orange cake mix and mix them. I made a creamsicle cake a few weeks ago and here is how the mixing process worked in cake form:


The cupcakes, after baking, were just the perfect little cakes:



The rest is absolutely simple. Take some standard vanilla frosting(I probably should have made my own but it was early in the morning and I was on my way to work) and add 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder and 3 drops to yellow food colouring. 


Add the icing in to a freezer bag and cut the corner out. This is literally the best part of the process. Grab your inner 5 year old and squirt the cupcakes everywhere (as such):



The one thing that I will suggest is once you have 'piped' your spaghetti, put the cupcakes in the fridge to set a up a bit, otherwise your spaghetti will run once the meatballs are put on (not that mine did or anything like that....)

Once your 5 year old soul has had its fill, you're ready for some meatballs. This has to be the easiest way to make meatballs every and I swear that all meatballs should taste like this!!!! Take some unwrapped Ferrero Rochers and rolled them in no sugar added strawberry jam. You have just created meatballs and tomato sauce! Strategically place your meatballs on the cupcakes and you will have something that resembles the most awesome piece of dessert heaven EVER! Don't forget to grate some white chocolate on top to make it look like cheese (thanks Mum for reminding me to do that!) Et Voila! Please note the last picture clearly shows why you need to put the spaghetti frosted cupcakes in the fridge for a while! 




Happy Cooking! 

Tamara

P.S. I have a few more posts coming so check back in the next few days :)




























1 comment: