Saturday, May 14, 2011

Easter Baking... a few weeks late

I swear these last few weeks have FLOWN by in a blur of work and work and a bit more work and family gatherings and a tiny bit of sleep in there as well. Plus, this coming week, I'm helping out with the musical at the school my Mum teaches at, so needless to say things have been busy! Thankfully, despite it all, I may have managed to pull off a bit of time to get some cooking done too!

I have been wanting to share these things with you for ages now and am only now getting around to them. For Easter, I had decided to finally make some challah bread. I've been wanting to do it for years especially since it is very similar to my Baba's Ukrainian Bapka (a sweet yeast bread, similar to panettone). I have actually gone through the process of making Baba's bapka with her before but I find that lately I've been trying to find similar alternatives that don't quite have the gaps that Baba's recipes do... For example, when I asked how much flour goes into her bread, she told me "it's about 6 to 10 cups of flour". Gotta love a good 4 cup variance! This recipe is truly delicious and I strongly suggest that everyone try it. 

I originally found the recipe on a Radishes and Rhubarb, a blog by one of my babysitting Moms, Allison (see Allison's post about Challah here). When I first decided to try the recipe last year, I ended up forgetting the eggs (one of the most important parts of a challah) but somehow the bread still turned out amazingly. Regardless, this time, I actually remembered the eggs and ended up making a very delicious batch of bread. So delicious that I feel it has rivaled Baba's bread! Not to mention, it's braided!!!! Come ON! How can you not love a good braided bread?!?!? 

In terms of the process, it is the simplest thing ever!!!  Simply toss all of your ingredients into the bowl of your stand mixer, mix for a few minutes and let it rise. Once risen, shape and let it rise again and then bake.  







 


 

 On top of having made this delightful bread, and as a little treat to give to my cousins and family on Easter. I made these little cupcakes with some piping, some shredded wheat and melted chocolate and of course, mini eggs!!!!!! 
I hope you all had a wonderful Easter and that the Easter bunny remembered where you lived :) 

Happy Saturday!!!!

Tamara

No comments:

Post a Comment